Friday, January 18, 2008

Women and Sexual Health

Blog #1
Here in my life I have gone through many changes and no one knows those journey's until you have crossed that bridge in life. My own mother was one who doesn't relate these personal issues to her daughter. I never really had a close relationship with her because these things were not talked about...especially sex!

Some where around age 44 I started going through the change of life and really had no one to share it with other than my husband. As far as my husband was concern he didn't have a clue as what I was going through other than when he came home and had found that I had cut off my hair and flung it across the yard for the bird to collect and make a nest out of it. He came inside the home to see who had possibly murdered me. He was is such shock to see me standing there with a pair of scissor and a look of freedom from the wave of heat that I had just gone through. He grab me and gave me a hug and said I think you need to be on hormones for a bit. Here was a man that did not have a clue as to what I was going on inside me but knew me well enough for me to of cut my hair off, new something was wrong. I was placed on birth control and things level out. But I didn't know what to do at this point in time.

Everything in my body was effected! The worst thing was I had no desire to even look at my husband for sex, and I was usually the tiger in our relationship. I could of even care less about it. I felt lost and lonely throught this physical change that you hear women say they can't wait to be through and don't miss there periods. The next phase was the night sweats and sleepless nights. So I ended up having to learn from the Internet and this was a great websit here that has given me some real insight to this path all women will face sometime in there life.
http://www.knowmenopause.com/

2 comments:

Patty Ferguson-Reyher said...

Dear Kathleen,

I understand how you must have felt very alone, not only the change in your hormones, but that you had not been briefed throughly on what to expect. This is hopefully what we as older women who are nearing or in the menopausal stages can do to help the next generation to not have to suffer alone with little support.

I am so very pleased that the culture of women's health and sexuality issues can be discussed openly and provide real supportive information.

I do not think I would have fit in well in the 1950's as my mother has told me, no one even explained her period to her except that it was a burden and suppose to remain "secret". The silence was the burden, according to my mother, not her period.

I am so happy that we are in the here and now so we can help the women who come after to feel good, or at least understand the power they have to manage the physical changes that women experience as they age.

Big Hugs to you,
Patty Reyher

Kathleen Jenkins said...

To Patty,
I'm very late in my post. I had hoped that my eyes would of improved; however, they did not so my son is helping me to read this lat assignment. He is so sweet to just ask the teacher to let skate by with my medical excuss and I guess I could do that, but first I'd rather just get this assignment out of the way.
Yes, I still do feel very alone. The doctor that I saw did not call me when I missed my appointment last year, when they knew that something was wrong. But it is my responsibility also to of checked back, but I thought they would called if something was wrong. I was a Diabetic apparently last year and have gone untreated, very sad for me. This last week or even two weeks back has cost me a lot in many ways. I had my feet swell, as well as lost of my vision. It was last week at the doctor's office that he told me I was Diabetic and my eyes and feet will get better once I get on insulin. Also, for my Female Well Exam, they did not have non-latex gloves to handle me, so I'm rescheduled for that too. I informed him, what if I had a heart attack in your office? Then you would have to handle me with nothing, or latex, which would kill me. This is a sad day indeed.