Wednesday, February 13, 2008

"Contraception and Abortion"

1. Part(A) In what ways could someone's culture, beliefs and practices influence contraceptive decision-making?

This question is a definite Yes; Someone’s cultural belief’s can play a huge factor in ones contraceptive decision. I was taught not to allow religious preference to decide my fate; however, it did play a role in my life. Catholics are very strict on the birth control and abortion practices. I have actually had to make a serious decision in my life and with my body. My best friend, who had been my childhood friend, placed a value on my body and our friendship. I was in a bad spot and I choose to term my unborn child, she placed our friendship on the bartering table. I went ahead with my decision and she didn’t speak to me for months. Later when I couldn’t understand why she did this I confronted her. She stated ending our relationship was she because she was a devout Catholic and that is the reason she ended it.

1. PART (B) Provide thorough examples based on some of your readings and your own personal experiences. What were the beliefs about birth control/contraception within your own home and family?

Growing up, I learned about being responsible for my decision of using birth control. I experience problems with my parents and I was too young. Letting them know I was using birth control only aggravated my home situation. I was able to go to such wonderful clinics as Planned Parenthood off my bus route to get birth control. I learned from how not to get pregnant as a result of this clinic.

2. Interview a woman on her decision to have children or be "childless".

Recently in the ER I had plenty of women who I could interview! One person named Jane Doe, as we will leave her anonymous. She was the oldest and left responsible for helping to raise her siblings. Her mother never used birth control and felt the more children she had to more food stamps and money the State would fund. This left a bad taste in her mouth, which affected her out, look in having children for herself. She had one child and she told me she had her tubes tied. But what brought her in the ER along with me was she felt sick. The sad new for this young women is the news came down while several of us waiting on the County Hospital to get too us. This nurse just came right out and told her she was five months pregnant. Well needless to say we all heard a painful cry because she couldn’t really even term the baby because she was to far along. So us older gals just comforted her in it would all work out. But when you are the one in that spot its little hot! She went to the sonogram to be sure she didn’t have a tubule pregnancy. I did get to her when I checked out of the ER on the 13th of February and she informed me the baby was okay.

5 comments:

jennyluvstrucks said...

I'm sorry you had to lose a friendship because of your decision. I haven't been in your shoes before but i've been right beside several of my friends as they have found out they were pregnant and the decisions they have had to make. All of my friends went their own routes. Some have been happy with their situations and some still have to deal with them.

Lynette said...

It is sad that your decision caused you to lose a friend. But I feel that we have a right to decided what we want to do and no one else. The story that you told about Jane Doe was touching. I am sure it was hard for her to be put in the situation of raising her siblings and making that decision for herself.

tmckin said...

I think that birth control is a wonder method to use to keep from having children if that is the route you want to take. Abortion is always going to be a sensitive topic and everyone's views are different, I bleieve that people have to make the best decisions for their lives not for others and people should just be supportive of others decisions because it is their life to live.

Devya said...

This story was rough to hear mainly because I myself is a Catholic, honestly I don't think I would have gone to such extremes with my friend on her decision. I enjoyed to her your story about the lady from the ER. I know alot of people in that same situation as her and even though she didn't know she was pregnant,she is continuing to make a good life for herself.

Kathleen Jenkins said...

Thanks to all who replied! Life is hard but keep on pushin through no matter how hard it is at the time.
Love, KJ