Thursday, March 6, 2008

"Menopause and HRT"

Blog #8
Menopause and HRT
#3 Interview a woman who has or is going through menopause and has decided to take hormones. Allow her to share with you the reasons she has chosen to take them and how she feels it is beneficial for her health.

This is a Self Interview of my journey into Menopause:
As we deal with learning these issues in this class. I’m still not sure if I have this rehabilitating disease called Osteoporosis, because about a year and a half ago I did have a bone density test and showed no signs of it; however, within the last year I keep breaking my bones and not one of the doctors has even suggested the possibility of Osteoporosis. Early in my Pre Menopausal life when I really knew that I was in the downward phase of my life. The doctor prescribes the use of the pill for me because of the hot flashes and night sweats. The pill seemed to do okay for a few months then a horrible nightmare began. I started having massive headaches and then when my period arrived I passed blood clots for days. My doctor told me to quick talking the pill and I decided not to take anything for the systems of Menopause, but just rather to deal with the heat flashes as they came.
I guess over time I’m just one of those women with the attitude of hormone replacement didn’t work for me. I felt it was just better to deal with the issues at hand, than to deal with unknown side effects of how my body would react to HRT. I have talked to many women who have gone through this journey and I felt I would deal with it this manner.
I still have other issues that I dealing with. The doctors just don’t seem to want to listen to me when I come in the ER. The county hospital has it’s own system and I have to wait till they deal with one issue at a time.
Just trying to get a Primary Doctor has taken about a month now, hopefully this week when I get to meet my first assigned doctor here at the county maybe now I will get to address these other issues.

1 comment:

skymom said...

Boy, good lucky with everything. How come doctors don't think we have a brain and can know when there is a problem! We know how our own body works and feels. I am starting to go through the symptoms of menopuase and it seems like doctors don't want to deal with it. They use blank statements like " thats what happens when you get older, or it's JUST hormones changing." You think? We haven't feel off the turnip truck! We know it's hormones! Someone needs to get serious about finding out the what is really happening with HRT. Every woman will if they leve long enough go through menopause. It needs to be understood.